A Tart doesn’t have to be sweet, our chefs show this with a delicious winter spice vegetable version. This recipe is great for using up any leftover seasonal vegetables in the fridge or for a quick savoury snack.
MAKES 10 TARTS
- 10cm Pastry Tarts x 10
- Sweet Potato x 200g
- Mixed Spice x 10g
- Baking Fat x 30g
- Beetroot x 200g
- Carrots x 200g
- Parsnips x 200g
- Thyme x 10g
- Vegetable oil x 30ml
- Salt x 5g
- Pepper x 5g
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 5cm chunks, place in a colander and give them a good wash.
- Place the cut sweet potato into a pan and cover with water, place over a high heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 25-30 minutes until ready to mash.
- Once the potatoes are tender enough to mash remove from the heat and drain well.
- Mash well so they are smooth and add the baking fat and mixed spice. Mix well, reserve and keep warm.
- Wash the beetroot and trim off any excess stem, keeping the top and tail intact.
- Place the beetroot in a large pan and cover with water, place over a high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 45-60 minutes or until fork tender.
- Once the beetroot is fork tender, drain and cool slightly.
- With gloved hands, rub the skin off the warm beetroot.
- Top and tail the beetroot and cut into 2cm wide wedges, place in a bowl with half the oil and half the salt and pepper, toss the ingredients together ensuring the oil covers the beetroot.
- Place on a parchment lined tray and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until caramelised.
- Peel, top and tail the carrots and parsnips, cut them into wedges similar in size to the beetroot, place in a bowl with remaining oil, salt and pepper and give them a good mix.
- Place on a parchment lined tray and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until nicely roasted
- Finely chop the thyme.
- Place the warm sweet potato mash in a piping bag and pipe equal amounts into the bottom of each of the tart cases.
- Place pieces of the carrot, parsnip and beetroot into the sweet potato mash and press down slightly.
- Sprinkle with the chopped thyme and place in the oven for a few minutes to heat through.