While not officially a holiday in the UK, there are plenty of reasons to celebrate Thanksgiving, which this year falls on Thursday 25 November 2021. A typical Thanksgiving dinner involves turkey, stuffing and various other trimmings, cranberry sauce, sweet potato pie and mac ‘n’ cheese, followed by a helping of pumpkin or pecan pie.
Aside from food, Thanksgiving is a beloved time of year when Americans come together to celebrate what they are thankful for, with their friends and family. Thanksgiving is a cultural holiday that symbolises peace, thankfulness, and the beginning of the holiday season.
In celebration of the holiday, our team of Development Chefs have created a delicious Choctaw Fall cake recipe, a native American pumpkin cake.
Choctaw Fall Cake (American Pumpkin Cake)
- 250g flour
- 440g sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 190g pumpkin
- 375ml oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Whipped cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
- Grease and lightly flour a small bundt tin
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and cocoa. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the pumpkin, oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat this into the wet ingredients for 2-3 minutes until it is thick and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt tin. Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the top is springy to the touch and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.