These beetroot, cranberry & feta tarts look amazing and taste delicious, too. It requires a bit of time, but the recipe itself is easy. They’re vegetarian and serve 10, so it’s perfect for Christmas entertaining.
MAKES 10 TARTS
- 10cm Pastry Tarts x 10
- Cranberry Sauce x 150g
- Beetroot x 500g
- Fresh Eggs x 3 Each
- Milk x 425ml
- Feta cheese x 150g
- Thyme x 10g
- Vegetable oil x 20ml
- Salt x 5g
- Pepper x 5g
- Wash the beetroot and trim off any excess stem, keeping the top and tail intact.
- Place the beetroot in a large pan and cover with water, bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until fork tender.
- Once the beetroot is fork tender, drain and cool slightly, rub off the skin.
- Top and tail the beetroot and cut into 2cm wide wedges, place in a bowl with the oil, half the salt and pepper, toss the ingredients together ensuring the oil covers the beetroot.
- Place on a parchment lined tray and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until caramelised.
- Finely chop the thyme.
- Spread the base of each tart case with 15g (1 Tbsp) of cranberry sauce.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, milk, thyme and remaining salt and pepper together. Divide the beetroot amongst each tart case laying wedges over the cranberry sauce.
- Crumble the feta cheese and distribute it evenly into the tart cases filling the cracks between the beetroot.
- Pour the egg mixture into the tarts leaving a half cm gap to the top.
- Place in the oven and bake at 165C/145C Fan/Gas 3 until the egg mix has set, and the tops are golden brown.